The Pleasure Driveway and Park District
October 15, 2018
Job Opening – Police Division
Park Police Sergeant
POSITION: Full Time
The Peoria Park District is dedicated to its mission: We contribute to a healthy and vibrant Peoria community by responsibly using our District resources to offer high quality parks and recreation experiences to those who live, work and play in our District.
PURPOSE AND SUMMARY:
In collaboration and under the supervision of the Chief of Park Police, the Park Police Sergeant is responsible for a number of specific tasks as outlined below under responsibilities.
· Assessing the work needs to formulate specific Field Training Officer training schedules and record keeping.
· Ensuring that officers under your command are in compliance with all departmental directives, general orders and procedures.
· In cooperation with the Chief of Park Police, assigning officers to specific tasks and duties as the need arises.
· Directing assigned personnel and activities of the department in accordance with all applicable laws and ordinances of the Park District, city, county and state when directed by the Chief of Park Police or the Executive Director of Parks and Recreation.
· Aiding in the preparation and filing of detailed reports concerning the activities and administrative function of the Park Police Department.
· Assisting the Chief of Park Police in the preparation and control of the Police Fund annual operating budget.
· Engaging in patrol functions that may include working rotating shifts, foot patrol and physically checking doors and windows of buildings to ensure security.
· Patrolling and surveillance of park properties, facilities and buildings.
· Completing or causing to be completed, all criminal and non-criminal park police reports.
· Following all safety procedures established by the District and supporting all aspects of the safety program.
· Performing all other duties as assigned.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE:
· Bachelor’s degree in Police Science, Parks and Recreation or a conservation related field. Must successfully complete state mandatory basic training requirement prescribed by the Illinois Training and Standard Board. Extensive experience may be substituted for all or part of the education requirement under special circumstances. PTI preferred.
· Minimum of five years’ experience in law enforcement field, preferably with some supervisory experience.
· Must be in excellent physical and mental health with the ability to successfully complete periodic physical examinations.
· No criminal history. No conviction for Driving under the Influence or Reckless Operation of a Vehicle. No history of driver’s license suspension or revocation.
· Must have thorough knowledge and understanding of law enforcement administration and community relations and sound philosophy of law enforcement in a recreational setting. Thorough knowledge of IL Criminal Code, IL Juvenile Court Act, IL Vehicle Code, and park, city and county ordinances.
BENEFITS AND PERKS:
· Outstanding benefit package to include:
o Paid sick days, vacation days and holidays.
o Longevity bonus programs and wellness programs.
o Pension and retirement programs and Social Security participating.
o Exceptional health plan.
o Paid Life Insurance.
o Disability Insurance.
o Full-time employees and dependents enjoy discounted recreation classes and free admission to select Park District facilities.
· Salary: $47,000 - $52,000 annually.
· Must be able to work evenings and weekends.
· While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
How to Apply: Complete an online application at peoriaparks.aaimtrack.com/jobs/ or view Employment Opportunities in the “Join Our Team” section at www.peoriaparks.org. Applicants may submit a resume’, but to be fully considered for this position an online application must be completed. While we appreciate all submissions, due to high volume, only those applicants who are selected for interview will be contacted. Applications will be reviewed until position is filled.
The Peoria Park District hires without regard to race, religion, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, unfavorable discharge from military service, or disability to perform the tasks of the job. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply. AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.