The City of Champaign seeks experienced candidates for the position of Paralegal in the Legal Department. In this position, you will join an in-house legal team that works closely with all City Departments in a wide variety of legal areas. The City has a Council-Manager form of government. This is a part-time, 20 hour per week position.
Responsibilities of Position
Responsibilities include case management, analyzing case fact situations for legal issue identification, complaint drafting, development of legal strategy, and preparation of citizen, staff, and police witnesses for civil cases and ordinance violation cases. Frequent contact with citizens, attorneys, police and court personnel will be required. Must be able to manage cases, work independently, and interact with a variety of personalities. Assists in supervising law clerks as required to meet needs of prosecution effort and legal research. The Paralegal will share responsibility for managing ordinance violation and building/property maintenance cases and drafting pleadings and court documents related to the same.
• Certificate from ABA approved Paralegal Program or a Degree in Legal Studies or a Bachelor’s Degree and three years of experience as a paralegal or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Superior interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
• Legal research experience, including excellent writing skills.
• Experience utilizing common computer assisted legal research software applications.
• Experience in interacting with witnesses, victims, and defendants and preparing them for legal proceedings.
• Must possess excellent coordination and communication skills and be able to manage cases.
• Physical ability to perform tasks required.
• Working knowledge of civil procedure.
• Knowledge of local court rules and procedures.
• Experience in state and federal electronic court filing.
Drug screening and criminal background check will be required. The annual starting salary range is $31,327 – $35,663, DOQ, plus an excellent fringe benefits package. Applications, including cover letter and one professional writing sample that demonstrates analytical skills, must be submitted online to champaignil.gov/jobs no later than Sunday, February 9, 2020.
The City’s mission is to provide responsive, caring, cost-effective service in partnership with our community. The following values guide our work: Personal Integrity, Responsibility, Respect, Teamwork, Results. The City of Champaign is committed to promoting a work environment and a community that values and supports diversity and inclusion.
To apply, visit the City’s Jobs Page at champaignil.gov/jobs.